Oberon?

Oberon?

Postby Naiadae » 21 August 2012, 06:36

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I just LOVE Oberon's design.

I am a wiccan and very much enjoy Celtic and Faery myth and the ways modern wicca incorporates the fae into certain rites. In fact, the God Cernunnos is a horned god who happens to look a lot how Oberon looks in this game (well how I picture him anyway). I consider Cernunnos my patron and feel very close to him as a diety. I have always imagined him looking very similar to Oberon long before I had ever heard of the game (though with a little more facial hair). So without doing any research, just starting the game and playing, just like that, when I first laid eyes on Oberon I was immediately surprised and smitten with his design, I simply adore the way he looks! His faun legs, crown of antlers, even the runes on his torso! I love him!

Talking to him in the game my imagination went straight to work. So he spends his time "lamenting his fallen kingdom?" Of course he does! I wished to go watch the sullen king, talk to him-and I did, and when the screen popped up saying "Oberon loves you a bit more" it made me happy. The king likes me! -Wait loves me? Is there some later romance with the king awaiting me? Woohoo! Then what of Titania? I figured she must be dead, the first to fall between them as the royals which had me fancying my character would be privvy to the "Queen" slot. (almost named my character Titania when I finished the Demo and got the full version). It would make a lot of sense if my character was queen and Oberon simply didn't tell me because of this or that so soon after statsis, so that ultimately I discover that I am the queen but being in stasis had diminished me from my true form and as I level and gain back a tail, wings, horns, antennae and such, I slowly change back into my full queenly glory. -giggle- But alas I am to be disappointed, yes? Not that I mind; so far I am very much enjoying the game in my first ever play through. For the first time I have finished the Tree level and have just begun the Flying Dutchman.

I want to know more of Oberon's story, where is Titania? Does he love my faery? Does he care for the other realms? Or is he merely saddened my mankind's abandoning magic and such? I guess I shall see! reading some of the other posts it seems others wanted to gut him by the end of the game, I simply can't imagine it, (but then again I've only just begun) but being fond of Cernunnos makes me a bit biased toward the lovely Oberon; I feel he can do no wrong!

I just wrote this to say I love Oberon's design so very much, and I can't wait to speak with and learn more about him more in game. Beyond that, I love this game, it fits in so well with all the things I love from my beliefs to my hobbies, I do love a good fantasy adventure shrouded in fae myth that actually seems to be for adults and not 6 year old little girls (no offence tinkerbell, but these are the real fae haha!)

Anyway thank you for this wonderful game, and a wonderful King Oberon, I think I'm in love!

By the way, here is an old sketch of Cernunnos I made last year. See? Similar!
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... nunnos.jpg
Naiadae

Re: Oberon?

Postby The_deceased » 21 August 2012, 13:40

I read all posts here and gotta admit that no one was involved emotionally with a character as much as you (I could be wrong but I don't think that there's anyone around to object :P ). To be honest, I hated the way Oberon was portrayed myself, but after reading your post and seeing the striking resemblance your art (which is really great) had to him :o I don't hate him as much as before, lol.

Some parts of your post made me laugh :lol: You're quite the imaginative figure lol Finding out that you're the queen and as you level up, you start to discover your identity by having flashbacks and how that your appearance start changing little by little, now that would be one heck of a plot! I loved the idea a lot :)
The_deceased

Postby Naiadae » 21 August 2012, 17:01

Ah yes I do have quite the imagination, I try to channel it into books, but other than that I am going to college for programming/game design, I would love to be on a team like the ones that made faery someday, then I could put my imagination to better use than gushing over game characters (haha!).

Being emotionally involved, lol that makes me sound silly. I'm confusing my fondness of Cernunnos with how cool Oberon looks is all.

But yes! Already it appears that by the end of the game -something- will happen to make me choose sides between Aziel or Oberon, even though I'm still no further than the Flying Dutchman (haven't played since I posted here last), I already feel I will be biased to side with the King, but maybe that will change? No spoilers though, I'm excited to know where the story goes and how many of my questions get answered. Even though I'm sure that the things I've imagined up for the game won't come to life.

I guess though, a better way to describe my emotions when I first saw Oberon was...Hmmm, well I've drawn Cernunnos many times, spent a lot of time thinking of and researching him since the first time I saw his likeness on a post card at a metaphysical shop. Seeing Oberon's rendering was like seeing a still image that I've been looking at for years finally come to life, moving and 'living'. So I got a bit over-excited. :lol: I know it's a bit much, considering it's only a game, but that's the sort of feeling I got.

I'm not bonkers I swear haha. I can't wait to play this game some more and find out why no one seems to like Oberon that much. ^^

Thank you though, maybe someday I'll be able to make a game someday with that kind of plot. :3
Naiadae

Postby The_deceased » 22 August 2012, 07:21

Naiadae wrote:Being emotionally involved, lol that makes me sound silly. I'm confusing my fondness of Cernunnos with how cool Oberon looks is all.
I'm not bonkers I swear haha.

If you say so :? ... just teasing :lol:

It's not too much at all :) I can't even begin to fathom how would I feel If I have been picturing a Celtic god, making many drawings just to come across a living character who bears an uncanny resemblance to him! If anything, we should be envious of you lol I wish you the best with your pursuit of game designing, and who knows, you might develop the best Fae game yet :) ... seems Oberon took over the forums lol another reason to dislike him :P
The_deceased

Return to General Forum